Unfortunately Dr. Z did not write a prescription for time off. Mark is throwing up again at times (not every day but occasionally), and today it happened right in front of the doctor.
Mark has had a rash that Dianna has been able to control with cortisone but it is now under his bandages where the port is (and where they can't use anything to control it). Dr. Z thinks Mark may have an infection somewhere. Mark is still have terrible sweating episodes for no apparent reason. In addition, his white blood cell count is going down (at 4.5 today).
Dianna is having a difficult time getting him to eat or drink anything so every time they go to the hospital, Mark is in need of fluids. The fluids make him feel better but they knock him out for the rest of the night.
Dr. Z is running more tests, including an electrocardiogram and an echocardiogram, to watch his heart because the port runs into the left ventricle. If Mark is still sick by Friday, Dr Z. may pull his port and put a double lumen tube in his arm.
It's still very hard on Mark because he wants to be able to get around and do things but he just can't. Sometimes when people are sick, getting up and moving around can help build up strength. In Mark's case, doing that could easily cause over-exertion and make him sick. He has been told to do nothing but rest and that his strength and energy will come back if he just gives it time.
Mark and Dianna will find out tomorrow when they will go in for testing and another appointment with the doctor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I'm so sorry that things are kind of going backwards instead of forward for right now. Hopefully, soon you will be feeling much better. God willing. You two keep your chins up although at times I know it must be hard. Don't give up and FIGHT with all you've got.
We are thinking of you daily and love you. Doug & Sue
Oh My Heavens!!
Everytime I view your blog I cannot control the tears that roll down my face as I read what you are going through. And I realize just how the rest of us take so advantage of our good health when your fighting like you are for yours. I so pray for you MORE good days than bad. And MORE positive news than bad. I know it's probably hard bud, but use the faith of ALL of us that "love you" & "praying" for you to help you BEAT this crap. Love, Aunt Joy
Darn it! I'm sorry that things aren't getting better. I think about you often and I've even talked about you with my coworkers. I hope things will start to look on the brighter side. Keep on fighting. My thoughts are with you both.
Tresha
Sorry to read about your challenges Mark. For some reason, some have more obstacles thrown at them than others. After my stem cell collection I got a staph and was put in the hospital. In addition, my stem cells were contaminated with the staph. So, after the first transplant I again had staph from my own stem cells and was in and out of the hospital twice. The doc didn't want to pull my port. However, after being sick for over 2 months, I finally demanded that thing come out. They couldn't find infection, however, once it was out, I never got sick again...not even after the second transplant. The team that removed the port could smell the infection, but for some reason, the blood tests weren't detecting it. The thought later was, each time the port was flushed, the infection was sprayed into my heart; thus making me sick. Anyway, I'm not trying to suggest anything, just sharing my experience. Keep fighting the good fight Mark. Anyone who's been given the name Strapper must be a tough dude. Best to you and your family. DougC
Post a Comment