Thursday, March 19, 2009

White Blood Cell Count on the Rise

Today is much better. So far, Mark has not thrown up. In addition, his white blood cell count is at 0.11, so it is on the way up!!

Engraftment has started, however, the bone pain has set in and Mark is miserable. He is taking a few pain medications, plus they have given him a couple of shots of morphine. He will continue taking the pain medication tomorrow as needed.

Mark is still unable to eat solid food. He said everything tastes like Melphalan (the chemo drug). Dianna has been able to get him to eat a smoothie and he is keeping it down. Better than nothing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So good the white blood cell is on the way up. I'm sorry you are having so much pain. I hope you soon get through all of this. Hang in there we are praying for you.
Love, Aunt Sue

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, you've got to love that thick flem feeling running clear to the intestines. Nothing tastes good…water and bread being the worst. But hey, it's battlefield conditions; you're a warrior; and you've got plans once you're done. Btw, I had no trouble sleeping my days away. Let your body catch up. Your marrow is working hard buddy…rest is good right now. I found yogurt to be of help…couldn't taste it, but it helped the stomach. I also ate lots of peanut butter on salt crackers….protein is a good thing. Since I couldn't stand the taste of water, I drank lots of Gatorade. I would drink half a bottle, then add water so I wasn't consuming so much salt and sugar from drinking straight Gatorade. Reading your blog kind of places me back in the arena where the hard fight is fought…you're doing great Mark…keep leaning forward

Best to you and the family

DougC